Italian football club AS Roma has announced a partnership with blockchain fintech firm Zytara Labs and DigitalBits, a blockchain focused on consumer digital assets.
The three-year long, €36mn deal will see Zytara Labs become a main global partner of AS Roma while the DigitalBits brand will become the primary logo on the team’s shirts.
AS Roma, which plays in Serie A – the highest division of Italian Football – said it would become the first professional football club to fully embrace blockchain technology, integrating it within the organisation to allow new fan experiences.
Plans enabled by the blockchain partnership include:
- Creating official blockchain-based digital assets
- Accepting blockchain based digital assets and DigitalBits as new purchasing methods
- Creating NFT digital player cards and digital collectibles
- Enabling an AS Roma metaverse for fans to interact with the club in virtual worlds
- Rewarding fans in possession of digital assets, DigitalBits and additional digital collectibles via live experiences such as matchday activations
Guido Fienga, CEO of AS Roma, said: “We could not be more excited to have AS Roma officially join the DigitalBits ecosystem. DigitalBits is a blockchain known for its speed, efficiency, and sustainability: traits that mirror the values of our club and will allow us to deepen the engagement with our fans worldwide in numerous ways.”
The DigitalBits blockchain differentiates itself from competitors via lower energy costs versus Proof-of-Work blockchain networks.
Al Burgio, Founder of Zytara and the DigitalBits blockchain, said: “This historic relationship with AS Roma, one of the most legendary football teams in the world, is transformative, not just for Zytara and DigitalBits, but for the blockchain industry as a whole. AS Roma will be expanding the collective imagination by demonstrating how blockchain technology can be leveraged to elevate the connection between sports teams and their community of fans and other supporters.”