The helpdesk, an environment built to improve customer service, bolster ticket tagging, and align teams, is one of the most valuable tools in the CX landscape. From 2020 to 2027, the demand for helpdesk software is set to grow significantly. By the end of this period, statistics show the industry may reach a value of around $21.8 billion.
Helpdesk technology can empower both the workforce and the customer community, offering access to valuable information about a product or service, as well as a host of useful tools. Companies use helpdesks to troubleshoot and resolve issues, support customers, and drive loyalty.
Heading into 2022, where digital transformation is happening more rapidly than ever, helpdesks could be particularly valuable. After all, these tools ensure employees can track customer conversations and request tickets anywhere, across multiple channels for digital communication. Additionally, helpdesks can provide staff with knowledgebase tools to help them solve their own issues when they’re working in a hybrid environment.
The Rise of Helpdesk Solutions in 2022
Used to support both internal and external groups, the helpdesk can assist with keeping employees engaged and productive, while also boosting customer loyalty. As the marketplace continues to change, the statistics available on Helpdesk technology reveal some interesting trends.
For instance, the rise of new Unified Communication and Collaboration tools in hybrid business environments appears to be generating a significant increase in helpdesk requests. UC&C tools are now responsible for more than 50% of all helpdesk tickets at the time of writing. The reports show that while the arrival of new technology in business landscapes are essential, 93% of companies are concerned about the technical challenges in their workforce impacting productivity.
Let’s look at some of the crucial stats:
- Many internal helpdesk tickets are raised as a result of UC&C tools. Around half of all helpdesk tickets for 43% of companies surveyed in a NETSCOUT report were related to UC&C. Common problems mentioned included device configuration, screen sharing, and maintenance/update issues. – NETSCOUT
- Helpdesk technology is essential among growing brands. Around 86% of service teams say having a helpdesk system improves their productivity levels. Additionally, among high growth service teams, 51% are reliant on helpdesk systems – HubSpot
- Helpdesks can be an excellent source of first-party data willingly entrusted to you by your target audience. This could be crucial to developing better experiences for your audience. Around 70% of consumers say they’re ok with personalisation based on data if that data isn’t obtained from a middle man. agree – Twilio
- Helpdesks can help companies to be more effective at providing consumers with accurate information. According to Microsoft, 30% of customers say talking to a knowledgeable and friendly agent about their issues is crucial to their customer service experience – Microsoft.
- Companies will need to ensure leveraging helpdesk technology doesn’t get in the way of a personalized customer experience. 84% of customers say being treated like a person – rather than a support ticket – is essential to winning their business. – Mediapost.
- Helpdesk technology can be useful for tracking important, contextual information about a customer. This is crucial to know that 72% of customers say they expect companies to know their purchase history regardless of how they chose to connect with the company in the past. – Customer Think
The Evolution of the Helpdesk
By empowering agents to do their best work and making it easier to align customer journeys from start to finish, helpdesks play an important role in the delivery of excellent CX. Demand for helpdesk technology is likely to increase going forward, particularly now that companies are tracking customer conversations across a range of channels.
The following statistics offer an insight into the evolution of the helpdesk ecosystem.
- Companies will begin investing more time and effort into delivering hyper-personalised experiences with helpdesk and CRM technology going forward. According to Twilio’s segment report, around 85% of companies say they’re providing a somewhat personalized experience to customers, but only 60% of customers agree – Twilio
- Having the right tools in place to support customers (like helpdesk technology) is now more important than it was before the pandemic. Around 59% of consumers now care more about CX in making purchasing decisions than they did before the pandemic. – Customer Think
- AI and automation are becoming crucial parts of the helpdesk and customer service landscape. Around 32% of major businesses around the world have adopted AI customer service technology. Customer service is the second most common environment for AI in the business landscape after IT. Tata Consultancy Services
- According to BMC, automating service desk and helpdesk issues is crucial. While the cost of manually handling a helpdesk ticket is around $22, automating the process allows 22% of service desk tickets to be resolved at almost no cost. – BMC
- Self-service interactions will be a crucial part of the helpdesk experience going forward. Zendesk’s benchmark report found that high-performers in the CX environment are 76% more likely to offer self-service. –
- According to market watch, the Helpdesk Automation market is set to reach a value of around $23 billion by 2025, as companies look for ways to improve the efficiency and consistency of their helpdesk strategy. This gives the industry a massive CAGR of around 32%. – MarketWatch
- Conversational AI systems, which are likely to power a decent portion of the self-service helpdesk market, are also growing in size. The Conversational AI environment is set to hit a value of around $32.62 billion by 2026 – PRNewswire